2011 Tracking the Fitness Movement Report
America's Premier Report Dedicated to Fitness Trends & Insights
The SGMA takes a closer look at specific fitness trends in terms of participation habits in America's fast moving fitness industry. This yearly report gives you a closer look at purchase behaviors. In addition, we look at factors that will play a significant role in growing the fitness industry from both the home sales and institutional sales perspectives. Readers can dive deeper than ever before in the specific trends that are shaping this industry. This report includes key insight from industry leaders and interested stakeholders.
Some facts from this years edition of Tracking the Fitness Movement are listed below:
- Core aerobic fitness participants make up three of the top five core fitness activities in 2010 including walking, treadmill usage, and running/jogging.
- A definitive shift towards group exercise is a key trend due to social aspects and being provided with motivators.
- Facebook and social media play a big role in getting the younger generations more active according to experts Todd Miller and Karen Jashinsky.
- According to the physically active by age chart, the highest percentage of actives were aged 45-54 years making up 16.9%
- The breakdown of actives by location provides that actives over the age of 45 were more likely to workout at home, while actives between the ages of 25-34 were more likely to work out at a health club.
- Inactive Americans were the most interested in low-impact activities that would make them physically fit, however these inactives were also content with doing nothing.
If you missed the insightful webinar that SGMA hosted on this report please click here to view a recording it.
If you have questions about this report, please contact VJ Mayor.
Order and purchase a copy of this report today!
Please Note: You are about to purchase a SGMA research report in PDF format. Once the report has been emailed to you it is not eligible for refund, return or credit. Please be sure the report you're ordering is the report you want.
Special Message From SFIA Research
For the past 107 years, the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA) has been the leading source of research-based knowledge for the sports and fitness industry. The Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association has recently transitioned to a new name for our organization: Sports & Fitness Industry Association, with the acronym SFIA. The foundation of our trade association and the core constituents who benefit from an affiliation with our organization remains the same. However, we believe the new name represents a much clearer reflection of our current and future membership. This is not a shift in philosophy for our organization. It is simply a more accurate and transparent indication of the broader industry segments that we serve.
In this report, and any others released prior to October 2012, you will see references to SGMA throughout it that pre-date our transition from SGMA to SFIA.
For more information related to the rebranding process, please visit the SFIA website at www.sfia.org/about/sfiafaqs to review our FAQ’s. You may also contact SFIA Headquarters at 301.495.6321.
Customers who purchased this report also purchased the following reports: