SGMA Ready to Broadcast Fitness/ Exercise Tips to Consumers
Disney Characters Are Supporting SGMA’s Fitness Message
KISSIMMEE, FLORIDA – January 5, 2009 – WGNO-TV in New Orleans, KUSA-TV in Denver, WFLA-TV in Tampa, KLAS-TV in Las Vegas, and KMSP-TV in Minneapolis. Those are just a few of the 60+ TV stations in the United States which will broadcast SGMA’s Satellite Media Tour (SMT) – scheduled for Thursday, January 8th. The SMT will be based at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex located on the premises of Walt Disney World in central Florida. The exact location of the SMT at the Wide World of Sports Complex will be Champion Stadium, the spring training home of the Atlanta Braves.
The goal of the SMT (themed: “Getting Fit in the New Year”) is to showcase a variety of new products and accessories in the exercise and fitness industry to viewers at home.
These interviews will be shown during the morning and midday TV newscasts on the affiliates of NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, and independent stations. One of the interviews will be seen nationally on Lifetime Television. The Conn Jackson Show, which is seen on the Internet and on television stations in 60 different markets, is another major show which will broadcast this ‘show and tell’ type interview.
Mike May, SGMA’s Director of Communications, will be the host of this SMT. In his role, he will explain the various attributes of each product. May, a veteran of more than 400 “live” TV spots and nine SMTs, will be joined on each interview by either Mickey Mouse or Goofy.
In this SMT, the following products will be featured:
- 460 Elliptical Trainer (from Schwinn) – This machine gives a complete lower body workout; the Schwinn Advantage workout system tracks results and programming for up to two users.
- Arm & Leg Warmers and a Multi-Action Knee Brace (from McDavid) – Arm & Leg Warmers: feature Hydravent Technology which keeps the athlete comfortable……Multi-Action Knee Brace: special pads support the meniscus and Neoprene keeps the knee warm to promote healing.
- The Wave (from Street Surfing) – It’s an innovative way for kids to stay physically active; it's a full body workout that blends skateboarding, snowboarding and surfing; this full body workout is propelled by using core movements of the body.
- Lap Counter (from SportCount) – A state of the art timer and lap counter which wraps around your index finger and is operated by your thumb.
- Sunrise Clock (from BioBrite) – Instead of a loud conventional alarm, this clock wakes you up gently and naturally with a gradual sunrise which lights up the room.
- Weighted Agility Gloves (from Draz Athletics) – It’s a multi-sport training glove which is designed to increase the strength of the muscles in your fingers, hands, wrists, and forearm. This glove is used by the physical therapy and occupational therapy divisions at the Mayo Clinic.
Since January of 2003, SGMA has produced nine TV/Radio Satellite Media Tours. Five of them have been conducted from trade shows (The Super Show® in 2003, 2004, 2005, & 2006 and the SGMA Spring Market in 2007); one was held at the ESPN Zone in Atlanta, Georgia in November of 2004; two have been held at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex in January of 2007 and 2008; and one was conducted on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in August of 2008.
During each SMT, six to seven products are featured. With such concentrated exposure, those products get thorough coverage. On average, each interview is three to five minutes long, which is ample time to cover the important aspects of each product, i.e. manufacturer, product name, attributes, price, and its retail availability. With access to a satellite truck, every interview is a ‘one-on-one feed’ with each individual station.
One of the keys to the success of SGMA’s SMTs is that each one features product demonstrations and/or a celebrity athlete. Television stations want interactive interviews that will educate, enlighten, and entertain viewers. Celebrity athletes involved in past SMTs have included boxer Mark Breland, former World Series MVP Luis Gonzalez, ex-world skateboarding champion Andy MacDonald, NFL All-Pro Simeon Rice, major league centerfielder Steve Finley, and Canadian Olympic trampoline medalist (2000, 2004, and 2008) Karen Cockburn.
“Fitness is one of the ‘hot’ topics in the news during the early part of the New Year. We are fortunate to have the personnel and the expertise to be able to conduct this kind of public relations initiative which portrays SGMA and the corporate products on display in a very positive way,” said SGMA President Tom Cove. “As an industry trade association, SGMA is ready and well-positioned to speak on behalf of the industry’s new product introductions.”
The Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA), the #1 source for sport and fitness research, is the leading global trade association of manufacturers, retailers, and marketers in the sports products industry. SGMA helps lead the sports and fitness industries by fostering participation through research, thought leadership, product promotion, and public policy. More information about SGMA membership, SGMA's Sports Research Partnership, and SGMA's National Health Through Fitness Day can be found at www.SGMA.com.