SGMA's National Health Through Fitness Day: Quotes & Comments
SILVER SPRING, MD – March 12, 2012 – As the sporting goods and fitness industries reflect on what took place last week during SGMA’s 13th Annual National Health Through Fitness Day (March 7; Capitol Hill; Washington, D.C.) , many of the industry leaders and sports celebrities in attendance gave their feedback on how the day unfolded.
The purpose of this day of advocacy was to ask the U.S. Congress for support of two pieces of legislation that will help “Get America Moving to Improve Health.” In all, there were more than 130 Congressional meetings ‘on the Hill’ that day – 90 of which had the U.S. Senator or the U.S. Congressman in the meeting.
- "The sporting goods industry needs to support events like this which encourage physical activity and that’s why SGMA is taking the lead on the issue.” ~ Larry Franklin, Franklin Sports
- “I shared the news with members of Congress that the PEP grants are working at the local level around the country. We need fitness facilities at every school in this country for the students, teachers and their local community.” ~ Steve McCracken, Callaway Golf
- “I challenge the U.S. Congress to do right thing and support this legislation. Having a P.E. class in school gave me the confidence to become a great student. Today’s students deserve the chances that I had as a child growing up in Georgia. As a nation, we can’t afford to not pass this legislation.” ~ Herschel Walker, Franklin Sports
- “P.E. and math were my favorite classes in school. Being physically fit will make an impact in the lives of all Americans. We need to get daily P.E. back in our schools.” ~ Tamika Catchings, Women’s Sports Foundation
- “More people are dying because of obesity than all the wars of the world combined. Sport and exercise can change the world. Sadly, more people spend more money on their cars than their bodies.” ~ Gary Player, Callaway Golf
- “I am particularly interested in the obesity and its effect on young people. If we can break that chain, then we can make some progress on this health issue. Promoting fitness will do just that.” ~ Stan Smith, Prince
- “I think PE in schools is very important for our children, especially for impoverished children who don’t have access to local recreational sports programs." ~ Steve Smith, Reebok
- "It was a great experience. Both Tray Corens and I enjoyed ourselves, and learned a lot in the process. Very well organized and attended!” ~ Beth McCoy, Playcore
- "It was a well-run event, and one that I truly believed will make a difference in the continuance of PEP funding." ~ Tracy Corens, Playcore
- "Congrats on another great event." ~ Shaun May, IGP Sports & Entertainment
- "I was so pleased to be able to be a part of the event and to contribute to the promotion of PEP and PHIT to Congress. Lauren, Jon, Bill, Tom, Mike, Jan, et al, did such a great job of planning and executing the entire affair. The group of which I was a part (Skip Gilbert, Tracy Corens, Mary Jo Tarallo) had a great and productive day on The Hill, even though we lost Torrey Smith (and by extension Gulian Gray) just before our third meeting. Overall takeaway - There is strong and consistent support for PEP, but we still have our work cut out for us on PHIT, based on the feedback, most particularly because it adds to the tax code." ~ Buzz Truitt, Netsertive
- "Congratulations on a terrific two day event. Thanks to the interns for their help. Stan Smith and crew were wonderful. I think we really connected with the Congressmen on all points." ~ Mark Granger, Morrison Mahoney LLP
There were more than 40 companies and organizations which sponsored the 13th Annual National Health Through Fitness Day. This year’s Special Event Sponsors were Active Network, United States Tennis Association, Konami, and SGMA’s Legal Task Force. The Transportation Sponsor was BSN Sports/US Games. Supporting sponsors included Accusplit, AHIP, Callaway, Easton, Everlast Climbing, The First Tee, Flaghouse, Franklin Sports, Gatorade, General Mills, Get Golf Ready in Five Days, Good Sports, Gopher Sport, Head Penn, HOPSports, Mizuno, NSGA, New Balance, Nike, ‘nplay, PE4life, Play Core, Polar, Precor, Prince, Rawlings Sporting Goods, Reebok, Rollerblade, Spark, Speed Stacks, Sportime, Suunto, Tennis Industry Association, Titleist, Under Armour, and Wilson Sporting Goods.
The Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA), the #1 source for sport and fitness research, is the leading global trade association of manufacturers, retailers, and marketers in the sports products industry. SGMA helps lead the sports and fitness industries by promoting favorable public policies, fostering participation through research, thought leadership and product promotion. More information about SGMA membership, SGMA public policy platform, and SGMA's National Health Through Fitness Day can be found at www.SGMA.com.