Five Innovative Companies Selected as Finalists for SFIA Start-Up Challenge
Entrepreneurs to Compete in Front of Industry Executives at the 2017 Industry Leaders Summit
Silver Spring, MD, July 11, 2017 – After carefully vetting over 100 applicants from across the globe, the Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA), selects five finalists as entrants for the second annual SFIA ‘Start-Up Challenge,” to be held at 2017 SFIA Industry Leader Summit (ILS) on September 13 in Chicago. The finalists include:
• asensei: An active apparel accessory that acts as a personal trainer who knows the user’s every move. With sensors throughout the clothing, she tracks posture and movement. She guides and monitors user practice, and provides feedback on form and progress, all delivered in real-time in the user’s ear.
• Locally: An omni-channel shopping technology company that connects online shoppers to nearby, in-stock merchandise for premium brands.
• PlaySight: A cloud-based Smart Court sports video and analytics platform, integrating what happens on-court with an interactive and social online community.
• ShotTracker: The company’s newest technology, ShotTracker TEAM, automatically captures real-time practice and game stats for an entire basketball team. The technology utilizes sensors that communicate with each other to capture player and ball movement as well as court location.
• VERT: Wearable athletic technology focused on creating a better experience for athletes, coaches and fans. Used in a variety of sports, including basketball, volleyball, running and other health and fitness activities.
“These products and companies thoroughly impressed us with their innovations and we can’t wait to see their ideas take the stage this September in front of our highly esteemed panel of judges,” said Tom Cove, President & CEO of SFIA. “Building on the energy and buzz from last year’s inaugural Start-Up Challenge, we’re confident this year will offer unique opportunities that bring together the best industry startups with established brands and investors.”
“With a recent platform relaunch and a rapidly growing client base and product suite, we’re ready to become an integral part of the business strategies of some of the world's leading brands,” said Mark Stella, director of business development at Locally. “The SFIA is where those companies are, so we’re thrilled to be able to participate and interface with the membership in this way.”
As the official kick-off to Day One of the Summit, finalists will have 15 minutes to pitch their new product or service to a panel of senior executive judges.
The winner, who will be announced during the evening’s Awards Ceremony, will receive a spotlight in the SFIA Insider Blog, National Media Coverage and a commemorative plaque. In addition, the winner will receive one free year of SFIA membership and a six-week public relations campaign from Uproar PR, an award-winning international firm specializing in sports and fitness companies.
The 2017 ILS will be held September 13-14 at the Drake in Chicago. To register, click here. To be in attendance for this year’s Challenge click ‘yes’ when registering for the 2017 ILS.
ABOUT SFIA: The Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA), the #1 source for sport and fitness research, is the leading global trade association of manufacturers, retailers, and marketers in the sports products and fitness industry. SFIA seeks to promote sports and fitness participation as well as industry vitality through research, thought leadership, public affairs, industry affairs, and member services. For more information, please visit www.sfia.org.