COVID-19 Industry Impact Report - May Edition (2020)
The Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA) surveyed its membership to understand the effects the COVID-19 pandemic is having on the sports and fitness industry. The following insights contained in the report are intended to provide a snapshot of key business questions. We hope that this report assists industry stakeholders in decision making and provides new insights for them to consider.
This is the second edition of SFIA’s COVID-19 Industry Impact survey series. We are committed to continuing to gather insights to help our industry get through this period of uncertainty.
This report is free to everyone.
- Industry performance improving slightly. May showed positive movement as 56% of companies reported an increase in sales for May 2020 when compared to April 2020.
- Digital is key focus, even in a COVID-19 environment. Though many companies continue measures to conserve cash, 60% of industry respondents reported increased investment in their digital presence, with over half stating that they have increased investment in their own website.
- E-Commerce represents opportunity. 51% of brands reported their May 2020 e-commerce sales were higher than in May 2019.
- Domestic supply chains are relatively clean and disruptions are easing. Fulfillment and distribution centers experienced less delays in May when compared to April. Notably, 55% of companies reported no delays in May whereas 32% reported no delays in April.
- Return to Physical Activity and Sports picking up. 76% of respondents think that gyms, health clubs and boutique fitness centers will return in the summer, while for youth sports, 80% believe that organized youth sports will return by September or October.
- Long way to go. When asked when they expect company sales will return to “some semblance of pre-COVID levels,” a majority of sports and fitness companies (60%) project 2021 or later.
For more information about SFIA Research, please email Alex Kerman at email@example.com or call 301.495.6323.
Customers who purchased this report also purchased the following reports: